Re: Possible new trojan?

From: Daniel Martin (dtmartin24at_private)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 06:57:42 PDT

    "Mike Blomgren" <mike.blomgrenat_private> writes:

    > No - but I'd like a tool that can decipher the 'ntuser.dat' file, so we
    > don't have to log on as the specific user that caused the problems.
    > Does anyone known of a way of 'reading'/enumerating a users own
    > registryfile (HKCU)? There is supposedly a driver for Linux, to mount
    > the registryfile - and browse everything like a directory. But that
    > seems to be like crossing the river for water...

    Well, first off you can probably find the user's tree sitting under
    the registry entry HKEY_USERS\S-{whatever}\ on any machine they've
    logged into.

    But, assuming that you just have the ntuser.dat file (say you ftp'ed
    it over, or carried it on floppy to an unaffected machine), then the
    easiest thing to do is to load the registry hive contained in that
    file into your registry, say as the key
     HKEY_USERS\ProblemGuy
    This is, in concept, very similar to mounting a filesystem on a unix
    machine - you can tell NT that all the registry entries under that key
    will refer to entries in the ntuser.dat file that you copied over.

    To do this, start up regedt32 and, if it's not already open, open the
    local registry.  (From the Registry menu)  Then go to HKEY_USERS from
    the Window menu, and select HKEY_USERS in the window that pops up.
    Then select "Load hive" from the Registry menu and choose the file you
    want to examine; when asked for the key name say "ProblemGuy".  You
    can then examine the registry tree under HKEY_USERS\ProblemGuy to your
    hearts content with your favorite registry examination tools; just
    don't forget to unload the hive when finished.