Re: New worm ??

From: Pedro Miller Rabinovitch (pedroat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 08:32:59 PDT

    At 09:51 -0500 18.09.01, Cory McIntire wrote:
    >I and a few others I know are getting bombard on our machines with IIS
    >requests....looks like another worm, and its much smarter than before, it
    >seems to stay within the same class A and sometimes the same class B as the
    >attacking machine is in. here is an excerpt of what i believe is the full
    >scan....

    Same here, and I'd guess, pretty much everywhere. I can feel the
    connections overloading as we speak.

    >p.s. Infected machines attempt to get you to download a readme.eml file, that
    >has an .exe embedded. Not sure what is in that file, or if IE will open it
    >automatically, (I'm on linux) , let me know, this one is spreading and
    >resending _alot_ getting hits from the same machines now...2-4 times

    I can't confirm the automatic execution, but the eml file was
    definetly crafted for Outlook. However, I've glazed over the encoded
    .exe, and it is certainly a copy of the worm (it contains both the
    javascript and the probe strings, + connect()s and registry
    functions).

    	Pedro.
    --
    Pedro Miller Rabinovitch
    Gerente Geral de Tecnologia

    _____
    "Segurança em TI - uma especialidade Cipher Technology"