Re: Explorer Dr. Watsons

From: Jeremy 'Circ' Charles (circiat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 13:07:21 PDT

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Chris Thornberry wrote:
    > Has anyone been experiencing issues with Dr. Watson Application errors
    > in EXPLORER.EXE. Ever since this morning and the W32.Nimda.A@mm issue
    > some of my servers have had issues trying to run anything.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a relation between the two?

    I was wondering about this myself..  My employer has an infected machine
    that is exhibiting this behavior.  The only thing I'm able to do with the
    machine is get the Task Manager up to confirm that I see the signature
    processes of the worm (the easiest stand-out of which is something calling
    itself TFTP).

    In addition, we're experiencing an ARP storm on our network, presumably as
    hundreds of infected machines all try to scan/exploit each other.  It's a
    classic case of the argument for going from a flat switched Ethernet with
    over 700 devices on it to a routed network.  I'm seeing over 800 ARP
    requests per second.  :-)