Re: nimda tries to send mail after reboot

From: John Q. Public (tpublicat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 15:52:49 PDT

    Actually, I have a theory that this wasn't intended to travel via email by
    itself.  At least I have not seen any of our infected test boxes send any
    email out.  I believe the intent of the *.eml files are to take advantage of
    outlook's autoexecute "features" but I'm not sure why that is being used
    locally.  You'd think keeping them all .exe would be sufficient.

    .nhoJ

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

    |Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:40:08 -0600
    |From: Brett Glass <brettat_private>
    |To: John Q. Public <tpublicat_private>, incidentsat_private,
         bugtraqat_private
    |Subject: Re: nimda tries to send mail after reboot
    |
    |We have a filter on our e-mail server; it's designed to catch
    |attachments with (among other things) the name "readme.exe".
    |(We actually had this in place before Nimda/Code Rainbow
    |began to run rampant; another worm sends an attachment with
    |the same name.)
    |
    |So far, we haven't caught a single Code Rainbow/Nimda e-mail.
    |This is odd, because we are constantly receiving (and blocking)
    |other e-mail worms.
    |
    |Has anyone received Nimda/Code Rainbow in the mail? Is it possible
    |that the worm's e-mailing code is broken? (I sure hope so.)

    |--Brett