Upgrading IE detects Nimda ?

From: Sean Kelly (listsat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 15:35:12 PDT

    Hi there,

    	I've just finished cleaning up some Windows 98 (and 98 SE)
    workstations from infection by Nimda.  On a couple of the machines I found
    I could not upgrade Internet Explorer - the install fell over with a
    message about a previous installation not completing, and that I would
    need to restart the machine.  No matter how many times the machines were
    rebooted I could not get IE5.5+SP2 to install.

    	However, realising some stupidity on my part (it's been a long day
    :) I spotted these machine were still infected by Nimda.  After removing
    the relevant files and config changes I found IE5.5+SP2 installed ok.

    	Regards,

    --
    Sean Kelly