Nimda mostly infects /8-locally.

From: Thomas Roessler (roessler@does-not-exist.org)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 17:09:31 PDT

    It seems that Nimda has some strong locality properties
    when spreading.

    Evaluating logs on a server which listens on an obscene number of
    virtual network interfaces with consecutive IP addresses, all in the
    same /24, I'm seeing the following distribution of "classical"
    netmasks (/n*8) with respect to the attacking hosts (unique IP
    addresses encountered in the logs):

    	/16	 1
    	/8    1127
    	/0     242

    I don't see any /24s, but that's because there are no vulnerable
    hosts in that particular class C network.

    This means, in particular, that the probability for Nimda to attack
    a host in the same /8 portion of the IP address space is
    approximately 5 times the probability to attack a host which is in
    some entirely "distant" region of the network.

    It also seems like there is no special handling of /16 networks in
    the worm: Out of the 215 distinct /16 prefixes encountered (which
    do, however, still share the same /8 prefix with the attacked host's
    IP addresses), 36 make an appearance with only one unique IP address
    in my logs.  The /16 prefix of the attacked host just happens to be
    one of these.

    --
    Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/