Loopback traffic on the net

From: Sven Carstens (s.carstensat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 03:50:01 PDT

    Hi all,

    after setting the snort rules for nimda to pass I enjoyed the sudden silence
    screaming through my network.
    But then I find this more philosophical entries in the logs:

    Occuring from 4 ascending source ports: 62249 - 62252
    All within in the same second.
    First: 127.0.0.1 -> 62.208.xx.xx:80  ACK no payload
    Then: 127.0.0.1 -> 62.208.xx.xx:80 RST payload 'tcp_lift_anchor, can't wait'

    The destination is not within my jurisdiction but is on the same net as the sensor.

    Don't know what that is or were it really came from. Only thing I know is that
    it seems to be in a real hurry :)

    CU Sven