Re: MIME type of readme.eml (was Re: Web site infected by Nimda

From: Rob Quinn (rquinnat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 10:22:01 PDT

    >> Interestingly, the content type from www.wininternals.com (aka 207.30.43.69,
    >> aka underconstruction.infoback.net) is application/octet-stream.  The
    >> content type on www.digimind.fr is correct at "message/rfc822."

     If you have a Raptor firewall, you can disable web browsing based on MIME
    types, which _might_ stop users with vulnerable IEs from downloading the worm.
    Create an "httpmime" file in your sg/ directory containing each type to block.

     I took the 409 IP addresses that hit me from the Internet today with cmd.exe
    and ran this against them (where $name is the IP):

    	wget -O /dev/null --spider -t1 -T5 http://$name/readme.eml

     I've only probed about 200 of them so far, and many of the IPs refused the
    connections or timed out. The ones that did serve me the worm reported these
    MIME types:

         %egrep '^Length' wget.out | sort | uniq -c
    	1 Length: 57,891 [application/octet-stream]
           14 Length: 79,225 [application/octet-stream]
           76 Length: 79,225 [message/rfc822]

     The odd host with the 5789 1byte readme.eml was 206.65.244.24 in case someone
    wants to investigate a possible variant.

     ps - how do I adjust wget's connection timeout? The only timeout values seem
    to be read (download) times.