Re: Using NBAR to stop your users from geting Nimda from a web page

From: Antonio Vasconcelos (vascoat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 10:50:52 PDT

    At 00:21 2001.09.23 -0400, you wrote:
    >One thing to keep in mind if using the ACL from that page... They suggest
    >using:
    >
    >access-list 105 deny ip any any dscp 1 log
    >access-list 105 permit ip any any
    >
    >Denying all ip will knock down any packets that have your regex strings in
    >it. Doing a search on Google for "cmd.exe" will hang as it tries to return
    >the results of your search :) Also, any email discussion (like this one)
    >that has "readme.eml" in it will be denied. I changed mine to:

    I don't think so, because the regexp is aplied only to the URL not to de
    contents, and only to http.
    I wish there is a generic way to match a regexp to any packet, payloads,
    heders, options, etc.

    Router(config)#class-map match-any http-hacks
    Router(config-cmap)#match protocol http url "*default.ida*"

    It's an "in" list, so, you'll only have problems if you have some kind of
    service where users can submit a request where "default.ida" is part of the
    url, like a search form using GET method, it should be ok if the form uses
    POST, but I'd have to try that to be sure.

    >Also, is anyone using this on a 75xx series Cisco with dCEF? I've heard
    >from a few people that they are only able to filter some of the traffic. I
    >am not sure if it's from the high packet per second load (It's on an OC3)
    >or something else. I have it running on my 2610 which doesn't use dCEF. I
    >only have 3 web servers so I am not seeing a large amount of traffic. Any
    >comments on this would be appricated. Thanks.

    No, I'm using it on a 2610 too, and at low data rates (256 K).

    If it's not because I can use it for blocking "readme.eml" I whould drop
    NBAR now, because I know that my network it's not vulnerable to a CodeRed
    infection from the outside (only Apache servers have static nat addresses)
    and it looks to be much better for my bandwidth just tarpit the requests
    using a tool like LaBrea (www.hackbusters.net).

    ...take care...

    António Vasconcelos - ICQ #109994473 - Senior Network Management Support
    CONVEX Portugal, Lda - T: +351-21-422-9200   F: +351-21-421-3787