Re: Tracking down the still infected hosts

From: Skip Carter (skipat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 12:54:11 PDT

    > According to Ryan Russell (who's been analyzing the
    > worm code), Nimda doesn't honor redirects - it just
    > checks the response it gets from a Web server to
    > determine whether or not the server is vulnerable.
    > It doesn't follow redirects.  So what does this
    > actually accomplish?
    >
    > Isn't it possible that the Nimda traffic is going down
    > because of the decaying growth curve of propagation?
    > Or am I just missing something?

      On my network, it certainly is the case that Nimda traffic
      is dropping off, here is what I have seen in the last week:

        date     incidents
       09/18       2996
       09/19       2014
       09/20       1136
       09/21        165
       09/22        382
       09/23        371
       09/24        147

    --
     Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
     Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skipat_private