AW: Hacked using vulnerable FTP daemon.

From: vogtat_private
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 02:08:53 PDT

    > ISPs will never forward you any personal info, except if
    > you're a government
    > investigator. And if an investigator gets involved the damage
    > has to be
    > substantial (millions).

    some more details on this:

    good ISPs will do as above, but some others actually *DO* give out personal
    info of their customers.

    depending on local legislation, the ISP may even be breaking the law if he
    gives you any personal info without a court order. over here (germany) it
    would be a violation of the data privacy law and carries a substantial fine
    (50k DM, roughly $25,000 *per violation*). nevertheless, both private
    persons and investigators without a court order constantly try.

    in addition, many ISPs do not *HAVE* the data you would need. there's still
    a lot of countries without caller-ID on the globe, or it can be turned off,
    so you would have to involve the telecom companies as well. at which point
    the costs of tracking down someone go well above anything justifiable unless
    he's done some really major damage.

    > Don't talk about evidence, and don't blow things out of
    > proportion, this is just a simple mischief, happens to everyone.

    exactly. to the ISP of your attacker, this is no big deal. the company I
    work for tries to be friendly towards the internet, so we sometimes send
    letters of warnings (in a friendly tone) to some customers. that is about
    the best you can expect, and I guess that most ISPs won't even bother with
    that.