RE:Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility ---> a few thoughts

From: Bill_Roydsat_private
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 13:14:23 PDT

    The major fault has to be with Microsoft. Not with the software faults
    themselves, since they  are inevitable, but with the installation process.
      Any system that installs products without explaining the consequences to
    the installer needs to bear the responsibility for those consequences.
      I have captured the hosts hitting my cable modem with Cod REd/Nimda et
    al and used a wget to retrieve the home page.
    As well as most often being cable/ADSL users, they are also running the
    default IIS home page from a default install of Windows 2000.  After
    contacting one system, I found that he was not even aware that he was
    running a web server, let alone that it needed patches.
       If the user is unaware that they are running servers, they certainly
    are not going to path them, so MS is at fault for installing them by
    default.
      The EULA doesn't help Microsoft there, because I didn't agree to it and
    it was MS software that was attempting to attack me, without its user's
    permission.
      I would hope that a corporation that has spent millions of dollars in
    bandwith and network maintanance becuase of this takes MS to court for
    willful negligence.

    I do not speak for my employer in this.