Re: FBI Virus Alerts

From: Gary Maltzen (maltzenat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 09:36:32 PDT

    Isn't this rather a "Chicken Little" ("The sky is falling!") approach?

    I certainly get enough forwarded forwarded (hoax) virus "warnings" from well-meaning friends who have no clue where to check on the accuracy and invariably end up responding to a (long) list of addressees (since they also haven't a clue about BCC) listing URLs where they can go see that the message was a hoax.

    I should think RESPONSIBLE reporting would involve taking the time to check the accuracy of the story before passing it on.

    If I understand the charter of this list, it is to exchange information about anomalies leading to early detection of attacks.

    ~Gary

    ----- attributed to <info@safer-hex.com> -----

    then I don't wait until their webmasters wake up but forward it to my readers who expect me to do just that and not wait until I have the first samples in our editorial mail boxes to check if it's real.

    period!

    Dre.

    p.s. I'm aware that many a/v vendors sometimes create a hype but we have the policy better to warn to often but ASAP, rather than to warn when it's too late.

    --

    [  C  A  M  R  I  N    N  E  T  W  O  R  K  ]
    the  jrpamc.com internet information services