RE: Scans for SSHd via RIPE netblocks, anyone?

From: Fernando Cardoso (fernando.cardosoat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 09:50:21 PDT

    Not only from this side of the Atlantic... I've seen a big increase in SSH
    scans in the last couple weeks. Here's my last 4 scans:

    - Philippines ISP (Linux kernel 2.4.x)
    - Chinese Hospital (RedHat 6.2)
    - Swedish web server (down at this time)
    - NY based dns server (RedHat 7.0)

    Compromised hosts? Maybe, but from what I could check, none of the
    responding sites is using SSH except for one which has port 22 filtered.

    Fernando

    --
    Fernando Cardoso - Security Consultant       WhatEverNet Computing, S.A.
    Phone : +351 21 7994200                      Praca de Alvalade, 6 - Piso 6

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > 	No great shakes here, but I'm curious to know if anyone else is
    > seeing concerted SSHd scans coming from RIPE netblocks lately.  I've noted
    > a few here and, while I considered them oddities at first, I'm starting to
    > wonder if someone (or something) across the Atlantic doesn't have the
    > much-ballyhoo'd "0day for sale."
    >
    > 	I'm not bored enough to see what they're really up to (yet), so I
    > figured I'd just toss this out for general consideration.
    >
    > 	Oh yeah, the latest scan came from 193.206.153.7.

                          INTERNET MAIL FOOTER
    A presente mensagem pode conter informação considerada confidencial.
    Se o receptor desta mensagem não for o destinatário indicado, fica
    expressamente proibido de copiar ou endereçar a mensagem a terceiros.
    Em tal situação, o receptor deverá destruir a presente mensagem e por
    gentileza informar o emissor de tal facto.
    Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this
    message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, you
    may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you
    should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply
    email.