Re: What am I seeing?

From: 'Bill Scherr IV, GCIA' (bschnzlat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 08:24:35 PDT

    Folks...

       Fraggle or smurf or cookie monster.  Proper Ingress/Egress filtering

    http://www.sentry.net/~obsid/IPTables/rc.scripts.dir/current/rc.firewall.iptables.
    multi

    and Router configuration (Router (config-subif)# no ip directed-broadcast)

    will make this a non-issue.  obsid's script has an excellent list of IANA
    reserved nets!  It also blocks the RFC 1918 stuff and directed/limited
    broadcasts.  The point here is that no matter how you do it, put the proper
    filters in place.  (ISPs too!)  DoS defense depends on ALL of us!

    Bill Scherr IV, GCIA
    Electronic Warfare Associates / IIT
    Lafayette RTI, Camp Johnson
    Colchester, VT 05446