Re: Xterm

From: dewt (dewtat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 11:09:00 PDT

    On Thursday 25 October 2001 08:58 pm, Yahoo - CQRMail wrote:
    > My snort IDS picked up a bunch of X11 signatures:
    > http://www.whitehats.com/info/ids126
    > Source IP is a random public address, Source port is 6000...random
    > destination inside ports.
    >
    > I have blocked 6000 at the firewall, but I don't know where to begin
    > tracking down what is compromised on the server. I am running Mandrake 8,
    > only ports allowed are 80 and 22...xdm has been disabled.
    >
    > I didn't see much in the logs, so where should I begin? and what should I
    > look for?
    >
    > I will probably rebuild the server, but I would like to see if I can find
    > out what has been down first, so I can be prepared later...
    >
    > TIA...new to linux, so I apologize for my crude question,
    > Tony

    the snort rule for it is pretty vague and looks prone to false positives, it
    could just have been legitmate traffic, but of course you should still look
    into it, try using nmap or some other scanner on one of the machines and see
    if port 6000 is open on that. also look in your /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd
    for accounts that shouldnt be there or accounts with passwords that shouldn't
    have them, also look in the .ssh directory in each users home directory and
    see if any of them have a authorized_keys2 file, if they do that's bad unless
    you set that up =P