Nimda.E having an impact ??

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 13:29:13 PST

    Does Nimda.E have a different scanning strategy than previous versions?

    Although the number of machines that I see probing us on port 80
    remains fairly stable I notice that the actual volume of probes has
    is up significantly over the last 24 hours.  We are also seeing many
    more machines in our own class A.

    Some stats:  (these are of machines that probed port 80 on an address
    where nothing was listening over a 1 hour period (0800-0900 UTC +1200)
                                  31 Oct      1 Nov
    total number                  1960       1947
    number in 130.0.0.0/8            7         37    (1)
    number with more than 100        8 	    9
    number with more than 10        21         55

    number of unicode attacks	12	   19    (2)

    notes:
    1/ we are 130.216.0.0/16
    2/ number of host on our network attacked as seen by snort on our DMZ