Posting to Incidents list, was: Re: Help with Nimda.E?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 09:18:36 PST

    Before I begin this post, let me just say that I am
    all for sites like SecurityFocus and the various lists
    it provides.  I am a strong believer in collaboration,
    as we all have different experiences and we can all
    learn from each other through discussion and trading
    ideas and information.

    That being said, I'm a little concerned at the type of
    information being posted to the Incidents list by some
    posters.  I'm not picking on Matt's post, simply using
    it as an example.  No offense is intended.

    My concern is that the Incidents list, in particular,
    is a public forum, and viewable by everyone.  No
    background investigations are conducted, and no NDAs
    are signed.  Such a forum makes for an excellent place
    for malicious individuals to troll for potential
    targets.  After all, what are the keys that most folks
    hope for when they attack a target?  Unpatched
    systems, clueless admins (no offense,
    Matt...really)...basically, easy targets.  Maximum
    effect with the least effort and risk.

    I'm not going to pick Matt's post apart.  That's not
    my intention.  However, I find it very concerning that
    this type of information is being made public.  Add
    that to things like searches of Usenet, NetCraft, and
    even DNS zone transfers, and I can easily see how
    Matt's site would be subject to all sorts of probes
    rather quickly.

    Just my $0.02...

    Carv