Re: Firewall hits/unknown ports

From: freeholdat_private
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 07:59:54 PST

    I'd like to refine that a tad:   The only 'stupid question' is the one
    that clearly shows the questioner made zero attempt to find out an
    answer on his own.

    Hence the popularity of the phrase:  'Google is your friend'.

    [In this case, I think the original question showed some
    misunderstanding of what a port really is, which meant a good
    opportunity to, say, broadly discuss logic points, how ports are used,
    what 'assigned' means, etc.  But even on security-basics, a question
    like "what do the letters VPN stand for?" (real example) can be
    discouraging - not because it's 'stupid', but because of a demonstrated
    lack of initiative on the questioner's part.]

    JMO on what is probably headed for the dead-thread bin.  :)