IIS (Possible DoS floating around)

From: Keith.Morgan (Keith.Morganat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 09:27:13 PST

    The focus-ms list is hopping a little regarding some strange behaviour from
    IIS.

    The symptoms:
    IIS continues to run (or sometimes crashes), but the common thread is that
    the port is closed.

    After recieving a report on focus-ms, and having this same behaviour occur
    on one of our webservers, I contacted a friend who runs a (logically) nearby
    network.  He indicated that the same problem had occurred on some of thier
    servers.

    I'm currently pouring over logs attempting to locate anything out of the
    ordinary.

    Just a note for all those that will say "make sure you've applied patches or
    run the hfnetchk:" Our servers are at completely current patch levels.

    Keith T. Morgan
    Chief of Information Security
    Terradon Communications
    keith.morganat_private