RE: Nimda Infections

From: Jim Howard (Jim.Howardat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 06:31:41 PST

    You are not alone.  Daily, I see about 300 attempts or more on our class C
    spaces.  I have tried to mail as many as I could, and I have submitted logs
    to the people that said they were going to contact everyone.  Still we see
    it.  At this point, I am really wondering what it will take to erradicate it
    from the net.  On a happier note, I have also been talking to ISPs, who have
    said if infections don't get fixed, they will shut off network access to
    those hosts/networks.  This, at least is a good sign, that there is
    something that can be done yet.  We used to pay for bandwidth on our network
    connection.  I feel for anyone that is still doing it that way in the light
    of such virii.  I too, believe there is no such thing as a good virus, but
    it would certainly be nice to have these uncared-for systems to just go
    away.