Re: Strange SMTP Garbage Flood

From: macdaddyat_private
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 18:20:53 PST

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Mike Tibor wrote:

    > I'm noticing an increasing amount of weird smtp relay attempts through my
    > mail server.  What makes these strange is that they actually don't appear
    > to be real relay attempts, but more like someone spitting garbage during
    > the RCPT TO: part of the smtp session (ie, there's no identifiable
    > objective that I can see, vs. a "real" relay attempt which has the obvious
    > objective of discovering whether my mail server is an open relay)
    >
    > I've received about a hundred Postfix notifications over the past three or
    > four days regarding this activity, and the vast majority appear to be from
    > a single dialup customer from a local ISP here in Anchorage.  However, a
    > few others were from what appeared to be a different computer (it supplied
    > a different name in the HELO part of session), coming from a different
    > Anchorage ISP.
    >
    > A number of things are consistent in these messages:
    >
    >   1.  HELO identifier is the same (with the exception noted above)
    >   2.  RSET always immediately after HELO
    >   3.  Envelope sender always blank ("MAIL FROM: <>")
    >   4.  Garbage always in RCPT TO:
    >   5.  Remote computer always drops the connection
    >       (it never sends QUIT to end the session)
    >
    > I've obscured the hostname and IP address of the remote computer
    > (host.isp.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])
    >
    > Does this activity look familiar to anyone?  I looked through my bugtraq
    > and incidents archives and didn't notice anything that might shed some
    > light.
    >
    > If anyone has any insight as to what this might be, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.

    Mike,
    	I believe I know exactly what this is.  I've seen a great deal of
    similar activity and have for a long while.  What I usually see are
    numerous lines line this in my maillog:

    Nov  4 07:43:15 oak sendmail[1453]: fA4DhFR01453:
    <BIG-MUSCLE@oscarcam....</a>... Unbalanced '<'

    or

    Nov  4 09:32:47 oak sendmail[8612]: fA4FWiR08612:
    <H6g^U"C@uQ^TtB}^K^[u/wkihWz\177?.3<Z,cTxe.C.^Q!`^U >... Unbalanced '<'

    Each one accompanies a bounce to postmaster.  The guts of that bounce
    contain the Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs text that we're all too
    familiar with.  I believe what you're seeing is the same thing.  The side
    effects of clients infected with Hybris.  Have that user disenfect their
    machine and I bet this will stop (at least from them).

    Justin