Re: Questions = Thanks

From: Pascal Nobus (pascalat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 15:18:07 PST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Ihsahn Diablo" <traktopikaat_private>

    >   So i have one more thing to ask you: to give me some good links about
    what
    > to do after a break or what to do if somebody is in the middle of an
    atack.

    boot your server up in single user mode
    enter these commands
    rpm -qa|sed "s/^/rpm --verify /g" > /root/verify-rpms
    chmod +x /root/verify-rpms
    /root/verify-rpms > /root/verify-results

    wait for this list to complete

    if you see files like /bin/ls, /bin/ps, /bin/login, /etc/pam.d/login,
    /etc/pam.d/passwd, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, /dev/*, /etc/services,
    /usr/bin/find
    showing up in this list then it's very likely you have been hacked into

    you can determine which rpm each of these files came from and reinstall
    the RPM for them from a secure media (Red Hat 6.2 CDROM) via

    rpm -qf /bin/ls #will tell you which rpm it came from
    fileutils-4.0-21

    rpm -ev --nodeps fileutils #will remove fileutils rpm package
    # if you get error saying a file like /bin/ls could not be deleted
    # run the command `chattr -ia /bin/ls` or whatever file then remove
    # that file by hand `rm -f /bin/ls`

    rpm -Uvvh /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/fileutils*

    and you continue to do this process for all the files

    once you did all this run
    passwd root

    and set a new root password and disable all shell accounts via
    passwd -l username

    then go up to init 3

    init 3

    then run

    netstat -taupen -ww

    look for any unusual process listening to funny ports with funny names

    After that take a look at iptables (or ipchains) and configure yourself a
    real tighten firewalls (i.e. DENY all, and open only the ports you need).
    Perhaps better: If you got and old PC, put MySQL and SSL-Apache on it, and
    install a Intrusion Detection System on it, plug it in your local network
    and all the 'bad'-traffic is monitored an logged.
    I'm very pleased with snort (http://www.snort.org) and using Demarc as a
    tool to analyze everything (http://www.demarc.org).

    Good luck!
    Pascal