Re: any1 stumbled across eCkit ?

From: Fredrik Ostergren (fredrik.ostergrenat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 01:55:44 PST

    Mailer: SecurityFocus

    >Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:18:58 +0100
    >To: incidentsat_private
    >From: Patrick van Zweden
    <patrickat_private>
    >Subject: Re: any1 stumbled across eCkit ?
    >
    >At 16:40 26-11-2001 -0500, you wrote:
    >>
    >>   Can you tell us more about what programs were
    altered and
    >>what directories you found the rootkit in?
    >
    >Sure.
    >
    >They tried to alter ps, dir, top, slocate, lsof, ifconfig,
    netstat, md5sum,
    >pstree, sylogd, in.fingerd, ls and installed a trojaned
    ssh. Most
    >modifucations failed due the immutable bit which is
    set on most important
    >binaries. Also xntps was installed which is a
    trojaned ssh deamon. The
    >xntps read it's config file from /lib/lblip.tk and listened
    on the port 48883.
    >Also installed (but not used on my system) were
    libproc.a and libproc.so
    >version 2.0.6. I guess they are installed to hide
    some process.

    tk = t0rnkit.

    a well-known rootkit which is common in the
    scriptkiddie world. Alot of different versions
    circulating. Try doing strings ps | grep /
    and check for suspicious strings. Go check those
    files and you will find the controlling file. Also check
    the ls trojan for the same stuff.

    >In /lib/ldd.so/ i found the patch script and a file called
    td. Strings
    >revealed that it is some kind of testing program but i
    don't know for sure.

    Probably not tfn2k, more likely it's stacheldraht which
    is also often included with those different t0rnkit
    versions.

    >Well, that's it so far. I'm currently looking for more
    suspicious things.
    >Luckily they installed programs which require glibc,
    which doesn't exists
    >on the system. So searching for the string GLIBC
    reveals a lot.

    >If you like i can send you the whole stuff i've found
    so far.

    Contact me at pressat_private if you need more info
    or if you wan't me to do an analysis or something.
    Thanks!

    / Fredrik