Re: *MAJOR SECURITY BREACH AT CCBILL**

From: Dayne Jordan (djordanat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 12:14:40 PST

    **UPDATE**

    Since we first broke this story, I have some further info...

    It appears that the entire process of ssh'ing/telnet'ing to
    the machine that they have userids/passwords for is an
    automated process, perhaps scripted from several sources.

    The automated script has been preloaded with a vast list
    of username/passwords and server addresses and it systematically
    goes thru the list and ftp's the eggdrop and TCL tar files
    to the users directory. It then attempts to un tar and configure
    both programs, if it's successful, then it starts the eggdrop
    program and put it onto the IRC channel at EFNet. IF it's
    unsuccessful then someone(human) visits the machine via ssh/telnet
    and compiles the failed eggdrop or TCL programs manually and
    launches the eggdrop.

    We've seen evidence of this on 2 other machines.

    D.
    ========