some "scanned with SSH-1.0-SSH_Version_Mapper. Don't panic." in syslog

From: Steffen Dettmer (steffenat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 14:05:18 PST

    Hi,

    I found the following in syslogs on some servers (running
    OpenSSH):

    sshd[29575]: scanned from ::ffff:62.154.180.3 with
    	SSH-1.0-SSH_Version_Mapper.  Don't panic.

    and on nearly every server things like:

    sshd[13669]: connect from rootat_private
    sshd[13669]: log: Could not reverse map address 62.154.180.3.

    Well, just looks like a portscan. There are a lot fo them these
    days. But I have a few old SuSE hosts here. I've upgraded the
    installed SSH with the latest patches. Those hosts logged:

    sshd[13669]: fatal: Local: Your ssh version is too old and is no
    	longer supported.  Please install a newer version.

    Is this just a message for some unsupported protocol version (or
    if the scanner don't use any protocol string after connect)?
    Or is it anything to worry about? (Yes, complete update is
    already sheduled :))

    Anyway, this may be a large scan which just hit my (small)
    network.

    Does anyone knows somethink about SSH-1.0-SSH_Version_Mapper?

    BTW, merry chrismas and a happy new year.

    oki,

    Steffen