Possible ICMP DOS spoofed to Nameservers?

From: Richard Gilman (rgilmanat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 10:47:06 PST

    I've been seeing ICMP Type 3 Code 13 messages coming from 2 sites and
    destine to our name servers. While doing a tcpdump I see no outbound
    packets with a destination directed toward the sites sending the ICMP
    unreachable messages. So I'm assuming that someone is spoofing the
    addresses of our name servers to ping flood the 2 sites. However we are
    only receiving the unreachable messages at a rate of approximately 5 to
    10 per minute. What I find interesting is that only our name server
    addresses are being spoofed and those name servers are located on 2
    entirely different class 'C' address space and at entirely different
    physical locations (same domain though). The packet traces show that the
    addresses sending the unreachable messages are most likely firewalls or
    border routers denying ICMP because the unreachable hosts are not the
    ones sending the unreachable messages. I started seeing messages from
    one site (Microsoft) at 2001/12/23-00:04:22 PST and the other site
    (Keesler Air Force Base) at 2001/12/28-07:17:11 PST and they are still
    going as I write this.

    Is anyone else seeing anything like this?

    Is there a DDOS currently going on that happens to cycle through a list
    of name servers as spoofed sources?

    Thanks,

    Rich