Re: Spoofed scans

From: Will Aoki (waokiat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 11:04:00 PST

    On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:04:57AM +0100, Philip Wagenaar wrote:
    > Do you mean get the MAC address? If so MAC addresses aren't unique
    > anymore, and how could you lookup what MAC address belongs to what IP?

    Assuming that you're on the same local net as the machine you're
    interested in (but then, if you're not on the same local net, the MAC
    is difficult to obtain in the first place and probably won't do you
    much good), the arping tool from http://synscan.nss.nu/programs.php
    will find whatever IP(s) are associated with a MAC.

    It's quite a handy little tool - I've used it in the past to hunt down
    misbehaving hosts.

    Non-unique MACs? Wouldn't that break ethernet?

    --
    William Aoki     waokiat_private       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    3B0A 6800 8A1A 78A7 9A26 BB92              \ /  No HTML in mail or news!