Re: Attacking every host in the path?

Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 22:01:41 PST

    Mike,
    	It is very possible that the attacker has run traceroute to a host
    on your network, attacking your routers in its path, and your upstream
    router, including the border router. There isn't much of other way to
    figure out your network without using a traceroute. You can block
    traceroute comming in from the Internet on your border router. In such
    case, the border router will stop traceroutes from going into your network
    with !X or !A icmp messages (Icmp protocol-prohibited, etc). The only
    information the attacker will have after that is basically the IP of your
    border router and the destination host he originally attacked. Or if you
    disable icmp type time-exceeded altogether on the border router, the only
    IP that will show up is the destination host in traceroute.

    That may be the one way attacker might have used. The other way is,
    attacker may have looked up yoru IP address in ARIN whois, and attacked
    the whole IP block that you might own.

    Hope this helps

    --haesu