Re: Trojans that use LDAP

From: Stephen (sa7oriat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 18:36:16 PST

    When addressing  these issues you have to remember that there is no set
    WAY of doing things. just because that machine has traffic destined for what is
    normally designated for LDAP doesnt mean that this is LDAP traffic, it
    simply means that whomever trojaned your machine chose that port for
    whatever reasons (maybe your firewall policies let that stuff through)
    many times people put things on 53, so your not contentmatching firewalls
    let the data through...dont assume that because the packet has 389 in it
    destination fields, that it is LDAP content in the datagram.. You can
    use netstat, and lsof, but how can you trust  these tools. assuming your
    machine has been rooted, there is no real way  of being sure these utils
    arent trojaned or that the attacker hasnt loaded
    a kernel mod that will do execve redirection or hide files...netstat
    and lsof WILL NOT see these sockets/files if the kernel doesnt want them
    to. Keep your mind open. I suggest (if you can) booting the machine from
    another medium perhaps your OS install cds and using the utilities on that
    cd. or atleast copy the binaries from a "secure" machine. security is all
    about TRUST violation, dont over TRUST your utilities especially in an
    untrustworthy environment.