RE: DDoS to microsoft sites

From: Adcock, Matt (Matt.Adcockat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 09:47:09 PST

    The fact that ports are listening for SQL traffic, NetBIOS traffic, and HTTP
    requests ***have absolutely nothing to do with being rooted**.  According to
    your logic, the only way to make a secure machine is to shut everything off.
    That's absolutely ridiculous.  Guess what, these servcies are on lots of
    Windows machines, including mine, but are protected by firewalls.

    I'd really like for you to explain to me how a Windows network will run
    without NetBIOS.  Try shutting it down sometime - you'll break your Windows
    network, even 2000.  I'd also like for you to explain to me how you can
    brute force attack admin accounts just because NetBIOS is open.

    Matt