Netware doing rouge portmap requests?

From: Soeren Ziehe (robintonat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 03:46:00 PST

    Hello,

    I've got a report that one maschine is doing portmap requests it
    shouldn't do.
    It's a Netware 4.11 server, which has a novell unix gateway suite
    installed.

    -- sanitized log excerpt from "victim" ---

    Jan 21 00:16:10 some-host portmap[15440]: connect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    to callit(300055): request from unauthorized host
    Jan 21 00:17:14 some-host portmap[15501]: connect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    to callit(300055): request from unauthorized host
    Jan 21 00:18:18 some-host portmap[15566]: connect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    to callit(300055): request from unauthorized host

    There's about one request per minute and it apparently has been going on
    for weeks.

    There's nothing in the configuration, that I'm aware of, that would
    cause the requests to this particular maschine.
    Is anything out there that I should know? That is is there a known way
    to hijack said novell unix gateway?

    Robinton

    P.S.: no packet dumps available at the moment, will try to get them ASAP

    --
    I've asked for kindness and ultimate truth. Still waiting for the answer.