Re: Steady increase in ssh scans

From: Russell Fulton (R.FULTONat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 13:18:51 PST

    On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 05:35, TCG CSIRT wrote:

    > Is this a normal increase considering the vulnerabilities made public late last year?

    I don't think that there is a 'normal' curve for this type of activity.  I
    strongly suspect that kiddie behaviour is more a result of fashion than
    rational thinking.  SSH is mearly C00l now!

    > Is anyone (everyone) else seeing the same type of activity?

    I have not done the stats but my impression is that my figures would
    mirror yours.  I am now seeing about 1-2 port 22 scans a day in each network
    block I monitor.

    > Has anyone seen evidence of a worm?

    no, but then we have not had any compromises.  I have seen no random probing
    that is favoured by most worms.  I do believe that there are worms out there
    that exploit BIND problems,  I regularly see random probes on udp 53.