Re: Port 80 SYN flood-like behavior

From: Steve Gibson (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 15:54:45 PST

    David,

    >In the last few days I've been seeing what *looks* like a SYN flood attack
    >on port 80 across all IP addresses on my network.  However, if it's a
    >flood, it's not a very strong one.  Modest hardware is able to keep up
    >with the incoming packets without a problem, but the steady flow of SYN
    >packets is still a steady flow.  (On a given system, the number of
    >connections in a SYN_RECVD-ish state numbers 50-100.)  The source IP
    >addresses stay constant for a minute or two and then cease, sometimes as
    >another IP address starts sending its own stream of SYN packets, though
    >occasionally more than one host will be sending traffic at a time.  Source
    >addresses are in a variety of networks, but seem to be consistently dialup
    >or similar type connections.
    >
    >It "feels" like an attempt at a denial-of-service attack, but why spread
    >it out over so many destination IP addresses (many of which have no
    >Internet presence), and why would the flood be so weak as not to actually
    >affect anything?
    >
    >Could this be an IDS allowing spoofed IP addresses through while stripping
    >out a "dangerous" payload that might come along with the first ACK
    >response? Or maybe a form of scan where the volume of response carries
    >information they want?  Has anyone seen something similar?

    What you are describing exactly fits the description of a "midpoint server"
    participating in a new form of Distributed Denial of Service attack. We
    were on the receiving end of such an attack a little over one month ago.

    Briefly, the idea is that a spoofed source IP SYN flood is gently spread
    across a LARGE number of TCP servers. Each of the many servers replies with
    SYN/ACK packets ... aimed at the attack's intended target.  Since each
    unacknowledged SYN/ACK will be repeated (generally three times) this
    results in a factor-four bandwidth multiplication.

     From the viewpoint of the attack victim, a large number of well-connected
    Internet servers appears to be flooding them with SYN/ACK packets.

    In the case of the attack aimed at us, 202 individual Internet routers were
    flooding us with SYN/ACK packets from the BGP port.

    I am in the process of writing up a detailed report with a detailed
    analysis of the packet capture, but you can see what I have so far at:

    http://grc.com/dos/packetbounce.htm

    regards,

    Steve.