Re: New MSN Messenger Worm

From: Bill Schalck (sfat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 20:12:15 PST

    We had a similar incident today but only one user.
    Could have been a lot more if that user had not gotten
    the same message at exactly the same time from 6
    of his contacts and knew something was wrong and
    did not click on the link.

    The details at our office were different.  The message
    was “URGENT: Go to this web site
    www.rjdesigns.co.uk/cool/” (or something very close
    to that).  The strange thing is that this user SWEARS
    that he never clicked on the link but our logs show his
    computer attempted to access that web site.  Luckily
    the site was down, possibly couldn’t handle the load.
    Does anyone know of an exploit that combined with
    the MSN exploit could redirect to a web site without
    the users knowledge or action?

    I'm concerned that eventually someone "smart" is
    going to build a nimda like cocktail of MSN, IE and
    other exploits that will spread faster than any virus
    we’ve seen yet.  Can anyone say ARIS ThreatCon 4?

    There is some good information and a number of
    links at
    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/255255,
    including a link to a web site at
    http://tom.me.uk/msn/demo.html that is a benign
    sample of how the exploit works.

    Now for the good news (if there is ever good news
    with a security vulnerability).  The Microsoft patch
    available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/criti
    cal/q316059/default.asp at least stops the sample
    posted on http://tom.me.uk/msn/demo.html from
    functioning.  Not sure if there are variations on the
    exploit that might still work.