Re: Port 80 SYN flood-like behavior

From: John Elliott (johneat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 21:10:21 PST

    On February 13, 2002 22:58 pm, Dave Dittrich wrote:
    [snip]

    > This attack used a variation of a TCP based reflection attack that is
    > not widely known to exist in the wild.  Steve's early analysis of the
    > attack in included below (Appendix A).
    >
    > While there may be a new (D)DoS program "in the wild" to implement this
    > attack, the risks and methods have been known for two or more years
    > and some simple modifications to existing tools, and a good list of
    > high-capacity routers, switches, and servers, could affect an attack
    > of this type.

    I have two web servers on different networks that have been receiving this
    type of traffic for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  The same source IP's hit both
    hosts at about the same time.  This is low rate traffic and generates  ACK's
    back to the target.  I have been logging this activity for about two weeks
    and have captured some of the packets.  I suspect that more than one machine
    have the same reflector host list based on the varying times of day when
    activity occurs.

    A partial solution is for network operators (more likely ISP's) to do egress
    filtering to ensure that only IP source addresses that belong to their
    network  leave their network.

    John Elliott