Re: strange telnet behavior

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 04:56:54 PST

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Vladimir Ivaschenko wrote:

    > _sysctl({{CTL_KERN, KERN_OSRELEASE}, 2, "2.2.16-22", 9, NULL, 0})
                                               ^^^^^^^^^
    > Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
    > Kernel 2.4.2-2 on an i586
             ^^^^^^^
    Hmm...interesting. Also, you said you ran RH 7.0, not 7.1?

    > open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = 3

    Most systems do not have ld.so.preload.

    > I.e., strace does not give any output after
    > 'open("/etc/nsswitch.conf", O_RDONLY)    = 3' ! If I try to use
    > ltrace, the application blocks completely.
    >
    > chkrootkit does not give any alarms. The server is running RedHat
    > 7.0.

    Your machine's kernel has probably been tampered with. Or some core
    libraries. Or /etc/ld.so.preload (I recall there is a rootkit using this
    method to control all (dynamically linked) programs out there.)

    You need to reboot your machine using a clean copy of the OS and
    other software (preferrably a read-only one).

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."