NT/2K/XP Incident Response Training

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 10:20:21 PST

    To all,

    Over the years, as I've performed consulting work, or
    worked as a security manager, one of the very
    prevalent issues I've identified is that many NT/2K
    admins aren't able to properly deal with incidents.

    Look at the lists, for example.  In the week prior to
    BlackHat, we all saw two posts on the SF lists in
    which a Unix admin had to respond to an incident.  In
    both cases, the actions of the admin included port
    scanning the 'victim' system, and then comparing those
    results with a list of known, default trojan ports.

    Is this effective incident response?  What should the
    response have been?  What could have been done head of
    time to prevent the incident from happening?

    In order to help educate anyone who administers
    NT/2K/XP systems, I've created a Incident Response
    course.  The course is 2 days long, and is very
    intensive, with hands-on labs, discussions, and
    scenarios.  The whole spectrum of incident response is
    covered, from why policies and procedures are needed,
    to incident preparation, data hiding (very heavy on
    NTFS alternate data streams), and freeware tools that
    can be used in incident response activities.

    Specifics about the course can be seen here:

    http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/ir.html

    I've taught this course several times already, and
    presented a trimmed-down version at the recent
    BlackHat Windows Security conference.  It's been very
    well received, and everyone (including myself) has
    learned a lot.

    This course is taught at your site.  That means that
    instead of sending up to 16 people away to a remote
    site, and paying their course fees, travel and
    lodging, I come to your site and teach the course.

    Anyone interested in learning more about the course
    can contact me at keydet89at_private

    Thanks,

    Carv