Re: SNMP Scans 02/17/02

From: Eric Brandwine (ericbat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 08:17:21 PST

    ds> for last 200 reports we've got 3(!) replies back with confirmation
    ds> of investigation or with requests for additional log files.  I
    ds> have a feeling that ISPs just ignore alerts/reports until you have
    ds> a legal/criminal case against them.  This is why I'm using ARIS to
    ds> report (hope it help everybody/someone to see a global picture)
    ds> and hope one day federal government will such global DB to
    ds> prosecute attackers/ISPs.

    We have a similar response rate for our complaints.  But we still
    complain to offenders.

    You've gotta realize that being an ISP is a buisiness, not a public
    service.  Read some peering agreements.  Read the AUP of your ISP, and
    of the ISPs that you complain to.  THey're carefully worded.

    The services you want are possible.  We have the technology for them.
    But they don't scale well, and they aren't cheap.  If you insist, and
    enough people like you do so as well, then this will change.  The
    federal government will pass legislation requiring ISPs to perform
    these services, and ISPs will comply.

    Your Internet costs will quadruple.  Or have you not noticed Global
    Crossing, PSINet, XO Communications, etc?  It ain't a money making
    business anymore, and any expenses forced onto us will be passed
    directly on to you.

    A much simpler, cheaper, more cost effective solution is to just be a
    good Internet citizen.  Antispoof at the edges, keep your ARIN
    contacts up to date, respond to complaints.

    You get what you pay for and you (collectively) want cheap bandwidth.

    ericb

    ds> -----Original Message-----
    ds> From: Security Coordinator [mailto:securityat_private]
    ds> Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 6:51 AM
    ds> To: Peter Johnson; incidentsat_private
    ds> Subject: Re: SNMP Scans 02/17/02

    ds> On Sunday 17 February 2002 23:23, Peter Johnson wrote:

    >> Do you think we should be reporting snmp scans to ISPs
    >> or just a waste of time?

    ds> Well, one way or another ISPs need to be fingered. I don't see other people
    ds> in the security community saying much, so maybe its time someone started.
    ds> ISPs ARE RESPONSIBLE for a lot of the security problems on the net today. How
    ds> could someone do SNMP scans of a network unless ISPs let them get away with
    ds> it? Actually this is a bad example, there is legitimate SNMP traffic and it
    ds> would be hard for them to know, but then why is it we see so many spoofed
    ds> packets around? There should be ZERO of them on the net. Every router knows
    ds> what addresses to expect to be inside vs outside.

    ds> I won't belabour the point, but YES, you should not just report it to the
    ds> ISP, you should let everyone know where attacks come from. What we REALLY
    ds> need is a database and system good enough to understand the topology of the
    ds> net and processes attack reports in a sophisticated enough way that we can
    ds> say things like "if this router was filtering like thus, this would be
    ds> impossible" and if an ISP won't configure their equipment properly, then they
    ds> can be held liable.

    >> Peter

    ds> This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.
    ds> For more information on this free incident handling, management
    ds> and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com

    --
    Eric Brandwine     |  The editor of the beast - vi vi vi
    UUNetwork Security |