Re: Distributed MSADC/root.exe scans

From: zeno (bugtraqat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 05:38:27 PST

    > I have trouble believing someone would go to the trouble of collecting
    > compromised hosts and then waste them stealthily scanning for
    > vulnerabilities which even inattentive admins are likely to have patched
    > and will trigger any halfway decent IDS but a quick google didn't turn up
    > anything much.
    > Does anyone know what might be causing this?

    People do collect infected hosts for use with ddos nets or machines to bounce from.
    I still get valid code red hits almost daily which means alot of people still haven't
    patched. I would find it very probable someone is collecting infected/backdoored hosts
    for use in a ddos. Its very easy to upload a trojan and gain full access to these machines
    so I don't understand why people wouldn't be scanning.

    - zenoat_private