RE: Wave of Nimda-like hits this morning?

From: Greg Williamson (n120476at_private)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 16:57:55 PST

    >Mailing-List: contact incidents-helpat_private; run by ezmlm
    All,

    >I have been seeing those scans pretty nonstop since the outbreak of
    >Nimda.  AT&T tells me that they have blocked Code Red, CRII, and Nimda
    >upstream, but I still get this traffic 15 times a day or so.  Yesterday,
    >I had one IP hit my machine, looking for cmd.exe 27 times...

    I've also seen a fair number of these recently.  My "record" was 700+ hits from
    a machine the was "close" to me.  Judicious use of curl indicated the the
    machine was infected with Nimda.  A recent re-check has shown it to be resolved
    now.

    Whilst it takes some people quite a while to fix it (or in fact notice it)
    ("it'll never happen to me")  it's slowly dimishing.

    I'm also not seeing any apache crashes - Apache 1.3.12 on RH7.0 (plus
    appropriate patches)

    Greg.