RE: [Whitehat] "Nimda"?

From: Peter Mueller (pmuellerat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 18:30:55 PST

    Tony,

    #1 - Your linux boxes are immune.  Nimda/code red works on IIS only.
    #2 - what version of linux are you running?  More specifically, are you
    using ipchains or iptables?  Iptables can be configured to filter out
    "nimda" packets with a bit of elbow grease, but to my knowledge ipchains
    cannot.

    > If anyone can recommend a good book or resource for hardening my Linux
    > server and / or any good IDS, antivirus and other such
    > security tools that
    > would be appreciated as well.

    I have found "securing and optimizing linux" (redhat biased) is a good
    starting point.  Go to linuxdoc.org and look under the guides section.

    IDS - snort
    antivirus? ... tripwire (checks binaries to see if they've changed).   {{
    there aren't too many linux "viruses", but there are plenty of trojans }}
    security tools? - nmap, netcat, nessus.. hmm about you just check out this
    list? http://www.nmap.org/tools.html

    cheers, enjoy linux :)

    Peter