Re: NTP scan ????

From: Paul Gear (paulgearat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 02:40:05 PST

    Russell Fulton wrote:

    > On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 14:52, Will Aoki wrote:
    > > On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:43:19AM +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:
    >
    > > (213.237.6.5) at 22:13 GMT-7 on the 20th, but I figured that it must
    > > be something other than NTP, since AFAIK NTP only runs over UDP.
    >
    > Possibly but tcp-123 is reserved for NTP...

    Normal practice is to reserve both TCP and UDP for the given port no matter
    which protocols you reserve.

    > Another thought that
    > occurred to me was that it was a typo and they meant to scan for
    > 1234 or 12345, both popular trojan ports, This seems unlikely since
    > it would appear that this wasn't a single scan.

    Still a possibility, though, and perhaps more likely than my suggestion.  It's
    perfectly conceivable that some script kiddie set up his tool to scan for hosts
    and accidentally deleted the last 1 or 2 digits.

    > > Perhaps you're seeing something similar: people looking for poor filtering
    > > rules.
    >
    > hmmm... so if you get any RSTs or port unreachables you would know that
    > the original packet went through the firewall.  Then you could start
    > probing with more interesting packets.  Certainly plausible.

    Plausible, but unlikely to cause damage.  How many firewall implementations are
    going to allow use of a port for filtering if the protocol is not specified?

    Paul
    http://paulgear.webhop.net