Its not a nimda variant, its the old nimda.

From: Robert Buckley (rbuckleyat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 09:09:40 PST

    I have been following the recent new explosion of what appears to be a new
    nimda variant.
    It may be a variant of sorts, possibly using some new Unicode tricks, but
    the result and the name of the game is the same.
    There are two boxes close to our public range that are whacking our
    perimeter all day long.
    Address range is owned by AT&T.
    AT&T Internet Fax Trial (NETBLK-ATTFAX-225) ATTFAX-225
    The tcpdump capture on the hosts transactions are the same as nimda, in fact
    if you look around on the compromised boxes, you'll see the same files in
    the same directories. A little more probing (opening an infected file) would
    introduce a virus onto your system, flagged by an Enterprise Scanner as
    being the virus nimda.

    Same face different day. <sigh> When will they learn?

    Robert Buckley
    Security Administration
    Synapse Group, Inc.
    Four High Ridge Park
    Stamford, CT 06905
    (203) 614-3279 (phone)
    The information in this transmission is privileged and
    confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed
    above.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
    notify the sender immediately by E-mail and delete the