Re: "Nimda"?

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 14:05:44 PST

    Greg Williamson <n120476at_private> wrote:

    > Summary type email (like that in ARIS) is good, but for something that leaves an
    > open door behind it (such as Code Red) it can be better to use that back-door to
    > your advantage.  With CodeRed, I cobbled together an automated response that
    > notified the netblock administrator, but also used the root.exe hole to put a
    > WinPopup box on the infected machine.  That was fairly effective.

    Aside from more serious charges in some jurisdictions (such as the
    possibility it is tampering with a crime scene, as already suggested
    by others), that approach is fundamentally wrong.

    Under almost all jurisdictions that have have some form of computer
    crime statutes, doing what you suggest is unauthorized access to,
    *and* unauthorized modification of, a computer system.  That you gain
    such access through a backdoor planted as the result of previous
    offenses of the same nature and that the administrators of the system
    (perhaps) do not know that mechanism is present is irrelevant.

    Until people claiming to be members of the "computer security
    industry" or "security professionals" stop suggesting such clearly
    inappropriate actions (which, by the way, they are even if they were
    not illegal most places) in response to perceived problems such as
    this, the industry as whole will continue to have its down-and-dirty
    wild-west look and feel.

    Finally, I note that Greg seems to work for (or be in some way
    affiliated with) the National Bank of Australia.  If so, perhaps he
    should brush up on his employer's privacy policy, as linked from its
    home page:

       http://www.national.com.au/About_Us/0,,2692,00.html

    Although that document is clearly aimed at reassuring the bank's
    customers that any personal information about them held by the bank
    will be properly guarded and "respected", it is clear that the bank
    wishes to be seen to not only uphold the letter of the Australian
    law relating to such issues, but to be seen to be exemplary in the
    way it does so.  In light of this, I wonder how the bank can have an
    internal policy for IT staff that clearly shows little, if any,
    respect for Australian computer law.  If the bank does not have such
    a double standard, does that mean Greg should now (or may soon) be
    facing disciplinary action within the bank?

    Let's be generous and assume that when Greg said "With CodeRed, I
    cobbled together ... but also used the root.exe hole to put a
    WinPopup box on the infected machine" he was talking about something
    he did outside the bank and that did not in any way involve bank
    time, computers or network resources.  Can the National Bank of
    Australia afford to be publicly seen to be associated with someone
    freely admitting to what almost surely was a criminal act in at least
    one country where at least one machine Greg "notified" resided?

    I'm impressed that Greg has such faith in his conviction that
    knowingly doing wrong in the face of other (trivial) wrongdoing is
    proper behaviour that he publicly identifies himslef with the belief.
    I wish him well should that faith cause him any strife, but I cannot
    agree with him on either issue nor condone his action.

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.