Re: Update: UDP 770 Potential Worm

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 05:12:09 PST

    Byrne,

    > After analysing the network capture, I noticed that
    > the UDP
    > packets were being originated from a variety of
    > hosts, not
    > just the proxy.  This could be the result of a
    > variety of things,
    > one of which could be a worm that has propogated
    > itself
    > around the network. I don't know this for sure and
    > need to
    > conduct further analysis of the host(s).

    That fact that this is still being investigated is a
    very important point.  The reason I say that is that
    you continue to believe that this is a worm of some
    kind...even after saying that you'll refer to it as an
    'anomoly'.  The problem, as I see it, with this is
    that:

    (a) By calling it a worm and posting to public forums,
    the fact that this is, in fact, a worm, is stuck in
    many people's minds.  Now, anyone who fires up a
    sniffer and sees similar traffic will assume they have
    a worm.  (Let me say, up front, that I know most
    people, like yourself, are very intelligent.  However,
    spending as little 3 months simply reviewing some of
    the public lists at SecurityFocus will also show that
    many people aren't comfortable w/ security, and will
    bow to your expertise...basically, if you're saying
    it's a worm...even w/ incomplete information and an
    investigation that hasn't been completed...they will
    believe you).

    (b) Calling it a worm at this point in the
    investigation narrows your focus and thought
    processes, as well.

    (c) Calling it a 'worm' when you have no proof of
    that, particularly in front of the client, is bad for
    business.  If you don't know yet, simply say that you
    haven't completed the investigation.

    Here's something to consider...can the client
    reinstall the Proxy from clean media again?  If so,
    try this...immediately before they plug the system
    into the network, run a tripwire-like scan of the
    system and hash every file.  Check for alternate data
    streams (assuming NTFS).  Get a complete process
    listing using multiple tools.  Then compare this to
    what you find in the lab w/ the dup'd drive.

    Carv