Re: Rcon trojan

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 17:53:32 PST

    Owen,

    > It appears one of our NT boxes has been compromised,
    > and is running the rcon
    > trojan, port 8989
    > Does anyone know how to clean up the mess, or do I
    > need to rebuild the box?

    I'm sure you're going to get responses stating that
    the box should be rebuilt from clean media.  In some
    cases, this may be sound advice.  In incident
    response, it's not always the best advice.

    I understand you can't be specific about the nature of
    the box (server/workstation, it's function, etc).
    However, here are some things to consider:

    1.  How did you become aware of the trojan?
    2.  Are you sure that this is Rcon and not some other
    program configured to use the port?
    3.  Do you know how the 'compromise' occurred?

    I ask, b/c I teach an incident response course
    (http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/ir.html) and the thing I
    find is that even the most competent MS admin doesn't
    understand the necessary steps of incident response.
    Sure, reloading the software from clean media is all
    well and fine...but if you don't know *how* the
    compromise occurred, how do you protect against it in
    the future?

    Just as food for thought, let's say you just came upon
    this box.  Rcon is a telnet server of sorts, so you
    might want to get some info about the 'compromise'.
    Say, a search of recently created files on the system?
     Or the LastWrite time of the pertinent Registry key
    (to tie down when the compromise occurred)?  Would you
    be interested in finding out who's connecting to it,
    if anyone is?  I doubt that will work at this point,
    if the 'bad guy' is monitoring the Incidents list,
    though.

    Anyway, rebuilding the system after a compromise *may*
    be a good idea, particularly if it's a root or Admin
    or SYSTEM level compromise.  However, you may not have
    to rebuild.  Or, if you do, how do you know you're not
    rebuilding the same holes that allowed the bad guy in
    in the first place?

    Finally, cleaning the thing off the system is pretty
    simple.  There are traces of the trojan in the
    Registry, as well as tools that will do
    process-to-port mappings for you to show you the .exe
    files in question.

    HTH,

    Carv