RE: Probes to strange ports

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 18:42:46 PST

    Robert,

    > What KIND of traffic are you seeing on these ports?

    It sounded to me (admittedly it's still unclear) as if
    the OP was saying that he's seeing probes.  Now,
    again...at this point we have no real idea what that
    means...but it might be simple SYN packets that are
    getting dropped, as nothing is listening on those
    ports on the target machines.

    Some things we'll need to know include:
    1.  What flags are set on these packets?
    2.  Are they incoming as well as outbound, or just
    incoming?
    3.  Are they being stopped by a firewall?
    4.  Are the packets destined to specific machines?  If
    so, does 'netstat' or 'fport' show anything running on
    those machines, using those ports.

    > Are they to one
    > particular system?  If so, have you run any analysis
    > tools on it (i.e.
    > TDImon, or FileMon, etc...)?

    Good suggestions.  I'd recommend pslist, listdlls, and
    fport, as the output of those tools goes to STDOUT and
    can be easily piped off of the box.  FileMon and
    RegMon might not be necessary...it hasn't been shown
    yet that the packets are even reaching the target
    boxes.

    > Is there any kind of consistency to the packets?
    > Are they all TCP or is
    > there UDP as well?  Is it at a certain time?  What
    > kind of systems are you
    > seeing the activity on?  OS?  versions?  Apps
    > involved (if identified)?

    All good questions.  Just goes to show we need more
    folks out there who know how to do Incident Response.

    Carv