We have lots of users with SonicWalls for VPN connectivity in to FW-1, possible major security hole

From: Mark J. DeFilippis (mark.defilippisat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 10:14:10 PST

    We use Sonicwall SOHO2 / SOHO3 devices for VPN connectivity to our core
    running FW-1.
    The following came  to our attention recently, and I was interested if
    anyone has seen something
    similar when using these devices.

    With default rule  disabled:  Disable default Src: LAN   Dst: ALL
    This rule is the last rule (default) and number 26 which allows any traffic
    to pass from the LAN to the WAN.

    We stop packets going out from the LAN on ports we don't know about.
    In this case the DNS server is 167.206.7.4
    The firewall gateway LAN address is 192.168.1.1
    The firewall WAN address is 24.184.168.52
    A NT server on the internal LAN is 192.168.1.22
    There is NO Public IP address configured for ANY service

    Recently in a Hub based cable modem environment we found the following:

                                  Message                          Source
                        Destination                       Notes
      Rule                  22:02:13.768          UDP packet
    dropped         167.206.7.4,53 WAN       24.184.168.52,5470 WAN
    22:02:13.784          ICMP packet
    dropped        192.168.1.22,3,LAN        167.206.7.4,3,WAN            Dest
    Unreachable 26
    22:03:43.800          UDP packet dropped         167.206.7.4,53
    WAN       24.184.168.52,5470 WAN
    22:03:43:816          ICMP packet
    dropped        192.168.1.22,3,LAN        167.206.7.4,3,WAN            Dest
    Unreachable 26
    22:05:13.864          UDP packet dropped         167.206.7.4,53
    WAN       24.184.168.52,5470 WAN
    22:05:13.864          ICMP packet
    dropped        192.168.1.22,3,LAN        167.206.7.4,3,WAN            Dest
    Unreachable 26

    It continues for what appears every 30 seconds.  My problem is if the DNS
    inbound packet is really dropped,
    why is my internal server responding to this packet as a "Destination
    Unreachable". (Note that I allow
    LAN to WAN  Ping request and response to pass, but not ICMP type 3.  So it
    is blocking the packet out
    to the internet.  My question is why it should have ever received any
    packed based on the DNS packet in the
    first place????

    BTW - The server 192.168.1.22 is a Win2K AS NT server with DNS Server and
    Client disabled.  No routing
    or other services enabled.  It is not even a part of a domain, it is in a
    simple workgroup.  This may have no
    bearing on the problem, but I figure if the packet was stopped at the WAN
    interface, it should not have generated
    a packet on the LAN that a server responded to with a "Dest Unreachable"
    ICMP type 3!!

    Most people run the Sonicwall's with the "Default" LAN to any enabled, so
    they wouldn't even see this
    under normal conditions.  I disable default when I found a shareware
    utility running on my network was
    communicating system and Network information out port 63002 to a specific
    Host IP.  Then there was
    "GameSpy" doing something similar....  So now I block all unknown LAN to
    WAN communications.

    Any thoughts on this behavior?  I consider this a serious security
    flaw.  If my Checkpoint FW-1 dumped a packet
    and generated a "reaction" packet on my internal LAN because of the
    external dropped packet, I would
    be banging at Checkpoint's door!

    Thanks

    Mark J. DeFilippis
    Sr. Network Architect
    Mycroft Information Systems

    --------------------------

    Mark J. DeFilippis
    Mycroft Inc - www.mycroftinc.com
    12 E 44th St
    New York, NY 10017
    Tel: 212-632-1928
    Cell: 516-330-3809
    Fax: 561-264-3101
    mark.defilippisat_private

    #include <std/disclaimer.h>
    In no way does my opinion reflect the opinion of my employer unless
    explicitly stated